[CentOS] Any compelling reasons to upgrade to 5

Sun Mar 25 18:32:43 UTC 2007
Rodrigo Barbosa <rodrigob at darkover.org>

On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:31:39AM -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> Just popped back on the list because I was curious about this. I've read
> the information about virtualization and other new features. I'm just
> wondering (as someone who installed CentOS 2 years ago and basically
> hasn't thought much about it my OS other than using it since then) if any
> piece of it except for virtualization got updated significantly enough to
> consider an upgrade. My machine right now is running great. Everything is
> just how I like it. Enhanced desktop search would be nice (but then I
> thought Beagle was Mono and thus not included). As would a nicer version
> of Gnome.
>
> But I'm just not sure if the jump is big enough to make it worth it.
> Anyone know? I'm getting that upgrade itch that comes from back in the
> days when I upgraded SuSE, Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora, etc. every 6 months.
> Having a machine running solid for 2 years is weird for me and I'm getting
> that itch, but I'm wondering if there isn't any solid reason to bother
> with it.

Well, I can mention some of the things that I found worth notice.

- - Openoffice 2
- - Exim 4.63 (even thou anyone seriously into exim setups will tell you
	     that 4.64 is MUCH MUCH better, due to the acl variable
	     changes, which means I'll still be rolling my own packages)
- - kernel 2.6.18
- - gnupg 1.4.5
- - bind 9.3
- - bluez 3.7
- - ghostscript 8
- - qt 4 is avaliable (qt4 package family)
- - samba 2.0.23c (this is VERY important, specially due to an excel related
		 fix. Today I have to roll my own packages)
- - spamassassin 3.1
- - tetex 3
- - tomcat (version 5)
- - wpa_supplicant
- - xorg-x11 7.1
- - yum 3

Some things I'm still missing:
- - Mutt is still 1.4 (I have rolled my own 1.5 packages for personal use)
- - Firefox is still not version 2
- - openoffice is still not 2.2

Things that might give you some extra work (not bad, just somewhat
different, but usually a good thing):
- - gcc 4
- - glibc 2.5
- - apache 2.2.3
- - mysql 5
- - postgresql 8.1
- - php 5

There are other changes as well, of course, but these are the ones
I think are worth noticing (at least for me).

Of course, I have before me at least 3 weeks of testing and adapting
procedures before I start using CentOS 5 in prodution around here,
but the simple fact that I'll be able to stop rolling custom packages
for most software is enough to make me happy. Specially samba (PITA).

Best Regards,

- --
Rodrigo Barbosa