[CentOS] Complex sendmail alias handling

Tue Mar 27 18:01:48 UTC 2007
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

From: Steve Campbell Sent: March 27, 2007 10:31

> Getting in late on this one, but if I didn't need to spend money,
> couldn't
> spend money, or what ever the reason may be, and the aliasing was
> something
> that needed changing on a schedule, then why not just set up
> multiple alias
> files, run cron to replace them when needed, and "newaliases",
> all in cron
> scripts? You would need to maintain as many versions as required,
> but sounds
> like it might work with minimal effort and expense.
>
> Complex is a relative term, and this may be oversimplifying, but it
> would
> work.

Hi Steve:

It would and does work. That is the method that we are currently using.
It works fine when we are talking about only 3 variations on the
alias. Currently I have files for weekday, weekend day and evening
and run a crontab script at 0800 and 1600 daily. The problem I now
have is that as we add staff with flexible work schedules that simple
scheme starts to get very complicated very quickly.

What I was hoping for was something that could assist me with the
administration of this task but it does not look like there is
anything like what I a looking for.

In the long run we are looking at probably implementing a ticketing
system but I just do not have the time to do the evaluation,
selling and implementation at this point.

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com