[CentOS] Re: When will CentOS 5 Plus be available?

Tue Mar 27 20:38:19 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

>>> What are you running out of CentOS plus? MYSQL 5? PHP 5? Postgresql 8?
>>> That is
>>> all in Centos5. Unless you need the XFS stuff or JFS or the hardware
>>> additions, Centos 5 might have what you need.

>> Firewire drives containing resiserfs filesystems?
>
> <flamebait>
> Why in hell would anyone still be using raiserfs these days ?
> </flamebait>
>
> At least that is what I hope you mean. A 'resiserfs' is disturbing
> in so many different levels ...

Yes, typo, but perhaps Freudian ...  It's a backuppc archive that's been
running for years (since before other filesystems knew how to create
files quickly) and has millions of hardlinks.   The last time I tried to
copy one with a non-image method I gave up after three days - and that
was a smaller drive.  This is a 250 gig drive about 75% full holding
about 725 gigs of raw data before backuppc's linking and compression
operations.

I have a 3-member raid where 2 are internal IDE drives and the 3rd is a
set of external firewire drives that I periodically connect and sync
(takes a couple of hours) and then rotate offsite.

If there is a better way to do that these days with LVM snapshots or
something, I'd consider changing the approach even if it means starting
over, but I need some way to do an image copy with no downtime - or just
a momentary unmount of the filesystem so the copy is clean.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com