[CentOS] Beta question - initial install of packages

Wed Mar 28 11:10:40 UTC 2007
Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>

On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
> When I used Fedora Core 5, and got to the screen for packages to
> install, I had the option to Customize which packages I wanted to
> install, but never an option to install EVERYTHING.  That annoyed me.
>
> When I use Redhat Enterprise 4, and get to the screen for packages to
> install, I have the option to Customize which packages I want to
> install.   That leads me to a screen showing a tree of catatories.
> Towards the bottom, I find an "Everything" option.   I almost always
> choose that.
>
> When I learned about CentOS 4.4, and got to the package install screen,
> the EVERYTHING option was there.   I was thrilled!
>
> From the CentOS beta, I thought I would again get the EVERYTHING
> option, but to my shock, the packages screen actually goes back to the
> FC5 days, thus no easy (that I could find) way to just select all
> packages.
>
> Am I missing something?   If this is true, and the team is still in
> development stage, can the EVERYTHING option be restored?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

Many, many discussions on this over the years on CentOS and Fedora lists.

Basically CentOS-4 (RHEL-4) was based on Fedora Core-3. This version of
Fedora had the "Everything Install" so RHEL-4 had it.

CentOS-5 (RHEL-5) is based on Fedora-6. This version of Fedora lost
the "Everything install" so RHEL-5 doesn't have it.

It's not coming back so you'll have to work round it ;-)

Tony