[CentOS] removed centos from dual boot laptop (now having trouble booting)

Wed Mar 28 12:55:04 UTC 2007
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 at 8:50am, Jerry Geis wrote

> I had centos on a laptop (dual boot xp).
> I am giving the laptop to another person so I removed centos.
> Now when I reboot grub is confused...
>
> I tried to manually enter
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> makeactive
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> This does boot into XP but how do I tell grub that this is the new rules and
> do this everytime at boot.

I'm assuming by "removed centos" you mean you blew away all the Linux
partitions, including the one holding grub's config file.  That being the
case, you have 2 options:

1) Restore 1 minimal partition (where grub expects the root partition to
    be) and put a minimal grub.conf there, or

2) Boot from an XP disk, go into rescue mode, and put XP's boot loader
    back into the MBR.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering