[CentOS] NPTL degraded?

Wed Mar 28 15:09:49 UTC 2007
Lonny Selinger <lonny at bangtherockstogether.net>

>>> Mine do

>>> [summer at bilby ~]$ ssh cdm rpm -qif $(type -p getconf)
>>> Name        : glibc-common                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
>>> Version     : 2.3.4                             Vendor: CentOS
>>> Release     : 2.25                          Build Date: Sat Aug 12
>>> 19:52:27 2006
>>> Install Date: Tue Sep  5 01:47:21 2006      Build Host: build-i386
>>> Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
>>> glibc-2.3.4-2.25.src.rpm
>>> Size        : 59306351                         License: LGPL
>>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat Aug 12 22:08:33 2006, Key ID a53d0bab443e1821
>>> Packager    : Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
>>> Summary     : Common binaries and locale data for glibc
>>> Description :
>>> The glibc-common package includes common binaries for the GNU libc
>>> libraries, as well as national language (locale) support.
>>> [summer at bilby ~]$
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> John
>>
>> Thanks John ... at least you've confirmed I'm not crazy:
>>
>> Name        : glibc-common                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 2.3.4                             Vendor: CentOS
>> Release     : 2.25                          Build Date: Sat 12 Aug 2006
>> 05:52:27 AM CST
>> Install Date: Mon 05 Mar 2007 06:18:49 PM CST      Build Host: build-i386
>> Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
>> glibc-2.3.4-2.25.src.rpm
>> Size        : 59306351                         License: LGPL
>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 12 Aug 2006 08:08:33 AM CST, Key ID
>> a53d0bab443e1821
>> Packager    : Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>
>> Summary     : Common binaries and locale data for glibc
>> Description :
>> The glibc-common package includes common binaries for the GNU libc
>> libraries, as well as national language (locale) support.
>>
>> I still don't know why all of a sudden NPTL dissapeared  :-(   I'll keep
>> banging my head and see what rattles loose
>
> rpm -V

Thanks again John. Just in case anyone else ever runs into this. I had
installed an app that mentioned that /lib/tls needed to be moved for the app
to run as is had a flaw in it. This was a quick install I found on a site
somewhere ... eventually (last night) I read the official documentation which
specified that the flaw was in the patch provided quite a while ago for 2.4
kernels NOT the 2.6 branch.

In my case, /lib/tls was moved to /lib/tls.old and never paid attention to
again ... until this problem. Running the RPM verify against glibc showed that
there were horrific changes even once I had moved /lib/tls.old back to
/lib/tls as I had upgraded glibc and other accompanying apps and packages
while /lib/tls was gone.

As this machine is a kick toy right now it was pretty simple to reinstall
(which I was aplnning anyway) but I'm assuming it _may_ have been possible to
do a force install of the last upgrades I had done to try to correct the issue
WITH /lib/tls in place.

Side note, are rollbacks supported/implemented at all in CentOS 4 (or upcoming
5) ?  I know there are snapshots implemented in the management and prvisioning
modules for RHEL through rhn, just wondering if there's a similar machanism
that can be enabled for CentOS. I'm assuming there is with yum I'm just
weening off of up2date now ;P

Thanks again!!

--
Lonny