[CentOS] Time 1 hour out

Wed Mar 28 15:41:49 UTC 2007
Peter Gross <pag at nanosec.com>

Andy Wright wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>> Ralph
>>   Does the system clock run on UTC time?
> Hi Ralph,
>
> the hardware clock is set to the correct local time - one of the servers
> uses the rtc to switch itself on at 1am to receive offsite backups so I
> prefer this not to be UTC time.
>
> I have disabled "System clock uses UTC" and rebooted, but as soon as I
> run ntpd the system backs jumps back an hour.
>
> Andy.

Two really dumb questions:
1. Have you updated the tzdata package? Here's the output of rpm -qi
tzdata on my system:

[pag at sempron zoneinfo]$ rpm -qi tzdata
Name        : tzdata                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2007d                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 1.el4                         Build Date: Sat 24 Mar 2007
02:46:37 AM MDT
Install Date: Sun 25 Mar 2007 10:17:19 PM MDT      Build Host:
builder5.centos.org
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
tzdata-2007d-1.el4.src.rpm
Size        : 687779                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 24 Mar 2007 03:21:46 AM MDT, Key ID
a53d0bab443e1821
Summary     : Timezone data
Description :
This package contains data files with rules for various timezones around
the world.

2. Is your /etc/localtime the correct one for your timezone? For
example, my timezone is MDT. So my /etc/localtime should be copied from
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver.

--peter