[CentOS] Re: Complex sendmail alias handling

Thu Mar 29 01:12:28 UTC 2007
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

From: Les Mikesell Sent: March 28, 2007 15:53

> I've used mailman lists as a really quick fix for this sort of thing to
> just give a place where you can control redistribution and keep an
> archive.  And you can tell from a glance at the archive list if any of
> the inbound messages did not have at least one response.

I had not thought of mailman, although I was aware of it. I suspect that
I might have the same "management" issues with it as I do with sendmail
aliases but I will have a closer look since I have not actually ever
used it before.

> RT can be
> used this way too and is nicer because you can have additional queues
> and if the first person to respond can't complete whatever needs to be
> done, the ticket can be moved to a queue that will give it to someone
> that can.  Either of these can be configured as the target of an email
> address and take effect more or less transparently, although in RT's
> case you probably need to periodically go though and close the tickets
> that have been completed by the email response.  I still have a couple
> of these set up for general notification and problem messages.
> Everyone
> just interacts by email but the system collates the responses together
> so you can review later.

I had been considering RT (and OTRS and probably others) in the long
run but will now probably look at them for email handling only in the
near future.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com