[CentOS] Re: software raid

Thu Mar 29 13:16:44 UTC 2007
tblader <tblader at flambeau.com>

Scott Silva wrote:
> Dave spake the following on 3/27/2007 3:13 PM:
>> Hello,
>>    I've got a 4.4 box that i'd like to implement software raid on. Does
>> anyone have any experiences with this?
>> Thanks.
>> Dave.
> I have used software raid many times, and still use it, although on a more
> limited basis. It is a very mature technology, and IMHO it is better than all
> of the fakeraid controllers I have ever seen.

Been running software raid-5 (knoppix) on a workgroup server for over a year.
Had a drive fail a couple weeks ago, everything kept right on going.

One drawback is software raid wants a single ide device on each ide channel.
This means buying an ide card (if you want more than two devices) which doesn't
always play well with the rest of the system (4+ ide devices).  Some mainboards
might have more than two ide channels, but I just opted for the cheap ide card.

--

Flambeau Inc. Technology Center - Baraboo, WI
Email    : tblader at flambeau.com
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu KeyID: 0x00E9EC2C