[CentOS] software raid

Thu Mar 29 19:30:41 UTC 2007
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 at 12:13pm, John R Pierce wrote

> chrism at imntv.com wrote:
>> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>>>
>>> You know, the whole "disk is cheap, so why use RAID5?" argument just
>>> doesn't wash with me.  Sure, disk *is* cheap.  But some of us need every
>>> GB we can get for our money (well, given I'm spending grant money, it's
>>> actually *your* money too (if you live in the US)).
>>>
>>> To demonstrate, let's look at a 24 drive system (3ware has a 24 port 9650
>>> board).  Newegg has 500GB WD RE2 drives for $160.  So for $3840 in drives
>>> I can get:
>>>
>>> a) 6TB RAID10 => $0.64/GB
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> b) 10.5TB RAID6 w/ hot spare => $0.37/GB
>>>
>>> Umm, I'll take 75% more space for the same money, TYVM.
>>>

> did those prices factor in the drive bay infrastructure for 24 drives with
> cabling, redundant power supplies, etc?

Given 3840=160*24, no.  ;)  But those prices would be the same however you
configure the drives.

> btw, I would NOT build a 20-something raid5/6 set.  the rebuild times would
> be massively slow, opening a large window for double drive failure.
> Before you say 'nah, would never happen', check out phpbb.com, they lost
> their web server and forums to a double failure last month, and yes, they had
> a hotspare so the rebuild started immediately.
>
> The large SAN vendors usually don't recommend building raid5 sets larger than
> 6-8 disks, and will stripe or concatenate multiple of those on the typical
> SAN with 100s of spindles.    Myself, I'll stick with RAID10 for anything
> critical.

Would that I had the money to and still get the space I need.  Even doing
2 12 disk RAID6 sets (each with a hot spare) gets you 9TB which is 50%
more space for the same money as RAID10.

To try to cut this debate short (hah!), this all boils down to a simple
CBA.  For me, I need massive amounts of fairly reliable, fairly fast space
at as good a price as I can manage.  RAID5/6 on systems backed up to tape
(oops, I seem to be crossing threads) fulfills those requirements.  For
me.  YMMV.  No guarantees.  Offer not valid in NV or NY.  Do not taunt
Happy Fun Ball(TM).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering