[CentOS] Wait for 5 or just use 4.4?

Fri Mar 30 19:43:38 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

John Plemons wrote:
> You know the CPU might make a big difference if he were running Windows,
> but we're running Linux, an performance wise the Dual Core running
> Linux, will keep up with if not kick butt on a Dual Zeon running Windows
> 2003 server.
> Windows by design is a CPU hog, heck it takes several Windows boxes if
> you listen to Windows tech's to do the same thing as a single Linux
> box.  Microsoft guy's would prefer to have DNS on one box, mail on
> another and web services on still a third, throw in a SQL db and well
> add in another Windows server.
>
> I don't know how many times, I've heard from hired Microsoft guru's tell
> me I can do that, it needs to be on it's own machine.

This isn't so much about performance as the fact that they are always
terrified (and often correctly so...) that one application will affect
the others in some mysterious way.  Or that a future update needed for
one application will be incompatible with one or more of the others.
Not only that, they need a test box to match each production box since
it is rare for a windows app to be able to run different versions of
itself at the same time for testing.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com