[CentOS] Wait for 5 or just use 4.4?

Sat Mar 31 22:16:53 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
>

> I've completely punted with Tomcat. I just make a /opt/tomcat tree,
> shove both Sun's JRE and Apache's Tomcat in there, create a custom
> /etc/init.d/tomcat script, and call it good. I keep a tarball of the
> tree and all relevant configs on a network drive, available for
> kickstart %post installation. Getting the gcj-compiled version of Tomcat
> to work with Java keystores was an exercise in futility.

I've been playing with java a little on my laptop, I have some code I
wrote when java 1.1 was current and I used to compile with Jikes.

I discovered generics (opensuse ships Sun's JDE 1.5), and thought I'd
try the code on a Debian box to see whether there's a realistic
alternative to Sun/IBM Java.

If there is, Debian hasn't found it. gcj doesn't do generics, and I'm
not going back. Nore does it recognise '-cp.'

Jikes/sable-vm doesn't match up either.

--

Cheers
John