[CentOS] Can't get resolution higher than 1280x1024 - Centos 5

Paul unix at bikesn4x4s.com
Tue May 1 04:41:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 1, 2007 12:29 am, Paul wrote:
> On Mon, April 30, 2007 11:04 pm, Jim Perrin wrote:
>> On 4/30/07, Paul <unix at bikesn4x4s.com> wrote:
>>> Hello all, I can't get higher than 1280x1024 resolution (60hz, 24
>>> depth).
>>> I'm running Centos 5 x86 64bit on AMD Athlon64 x2 4600, Geforce 6200
>>> PCI
>>> express.
>>
>> What monitor do you have?
>
> Samsung SyncMaster 204t (1600x1200 native) and
> Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbo (Even higher)
>
> I run a few boxes on KVM switch and they all run fine on 1600x1200.
> Centos 4 never had a problem
>

>>>I am guessin the kernel does not support my combo?
>>
>> No, it should work just fine. you'll only get 2D support without the
>> proprietary driver from nvidia though.
>>
>>>I've also tried Nvidia's  driver from their site, this is what I get:
>>  <snip boring junk>
>>
>> You don't have the appropriate kernel-devel package installed (yum
>> install kernel-devel) and you'll want to install gcc also if you don't
>> have it already.
>
> I've just installed kernel-devel and still same thing.  I've got gcc.  ;(

I just loaded Centos 5 on my x86 32bit box and it goes fine right off the
start at 1600x1200.  That's running the analog though.  I'm running the
DVI on the 64bit box.  I've tried to set the monitor at digital for the
Samsung and same thing.  I guess I'll just use the 32 bit version for now
on my test box till I figure what's going on.