[CentOS] New lists

Ioannis Vranos ivranos at freemail.gr
Tue May 1 09:39:07 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Think of this as a motion as one might move at a meeting. Discussion and
> refinement are in order.
>

> I don't understand the current rationale for a single CentOS users'
> list; probably in times past it was sensible, but I think the time has
> come for splitting the list by release.
>
> I'm speaking from my own perspective, but I'm sure others have similar
> stories. How many users use all CentOS releases?
>
> I am not on the Fedora users' list because of the volume of email,
> though I do use Fedora Core and might usefully contribute to FC in that
> way.
>
> Similarly, I'm no longer on the OpenSUSE list, same story.
>
> The time has come when I must, again, reduce the volume of email I see,
> because it's clogging my modem.
>
> I use CentOS4 and plan to use CentOS5. I am interested in email for
> those, but not for CentOS 3 (I have no systems) nor CentOS 2 (I have one
> RHL 7.3 system that thinks it's CentOS 2, but it's in maintenance mode,
> and anything I do I will do alone).
>
> I don't know how much email I would eliminate by dropping email for
> Centos < C4, but when I move to CentOS 5 I will lose interest in C4 and
> then there will be savings.
>
> If this list were split into one for each release, then subscribers
> could choose which email they see. At present, it's all or none, and
> neither suits me.
>
> If this list is split into four, then I expect the transition method
> would be to subscribe everyone on this list to the new four.
>
> At some point, this would become read-only (nobody posts), or maybe all
> mail for this goes (via a filter to fix the headers) to all the others.
>
> By "fix the headers" I mean "do whatever it takes to ensure replies go
> to the list the subscriber is replying to."
>
> I'm sure this transition arrangement is imperfect; my objectives are to
> encourage CentOS to have the separate lists, and to ensure that the
> transition is fairly easy for users so we don't lose lots of subscribers.
>
> What do others think?

For the time I have been in this list, I do not remember seeing any
message about CentOS 3.x or older. I think what should be done is
reducing the amount of emails per digest, so as to be able to use mime
digests, which I think currently is not feasible, due to the amount of
the messages per digest.

This is feasible, does not modify the size of emails, and is a
correction to a mailing list "bug" (I consider not being able to use
mime digests which is available as an option, a bug).