[CentOS] Installing from working Linux partition

Kenneth Porter

shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue May 1 19:52:39 UTC 2007

I've got some servers running other flavors of Linux (eg. FC2) and I'm
wondering if I can install CentOS5 to a new empty partition (eg. on a new
drive) while running under the old OS?

It seems like the installer OS just needs some hardware sniffing ability
and the ability to read the installation media and write to the target
media, so in principle one should be able to install from a working system
to the new partition and then update one's existing GRUB config. Is this
doable or perhaps even commonly done?