[CentOS] Saving Gnome Sessions in CentOS 5.0 x86

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Tue May 1 23:39:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 12:31 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> I use FC2 on a desktop. I tried the "save session" and "restore session"
> and I basically got NOTHING back. Apparently "save session" is a way
> for those things which are GNOME aware and which use some special
> hooks to save some state. No? Anyway, I run Mozilla, Thunderbird,
> Acrobat Reader, and terminal sessions. I run next to nothing else.
> Not any of this saves anything, AFAICS.

Not all apps will work, but most do.  Firefox can be saved - I don't
know about Adobe Acrobat.

> So, since you use it, can you tell me what saving/restoring sessions
> does for you? AFAICT, it does nothing for me at all.

I use it so that some applications that I'm always running are started
automatically when I log in.  Saves me some clicking, and so a bit of
time.  I have Gnome Terminal, Ekiga, Gaim, and Evolution all start up as
soon as I log in.

If you create and save different sessions (and they all have different
names), you can then specify in GDM (i.e. when logging in) which session
you want to use.  That can come in really handy.

You can also save scripts in a Gnome session.  I don't know what you
would want, but at one time I had fetchmail saved in my Gnome session.

So, it's not meant to save the state of your desktop.  It's to help you
get your desktop up and running without having to start up things
manually.

I think that's basically it.  Others may be doing more exotic things.

Regards,

Ranbir
--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu