[CentOS] 5.0: installing everything

Wed May 2 19:33:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 17:34 -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007, Jim Perrin wrote:
>
> > Since you can now add additional repositories at install time, how do
> > you define 'everything' install?
>
> How clever of me to omit that. I meant 'everything from the base
> repository'.
>
> Steve

OK Guys ...

While this may or may not be a valid thing to do ... the upstream people
(startinf in FC5 (and now fc6 and fc7) have removed this option for
RHEL5, fc5, fc6, fc7.

They did it for several reasons ... not the least of which is ... you
_DO_NOT_NEED_ to install all packages on any machine unless you are
doing something _VERY_SPECIAL.

In that case ... you can just do this after install:

yum install \*

It will install everything.

_HOWEVER_ ... don't do it unless you need everything !!!!

If you think you need everything ... you probably don't ... if you
really, really, really need everything then OK, install it.

:D

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes