[CentOS] 5.0: installing everything

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:52:49 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> In that case ... you can just do this after install:
>
> yum install \*
>
> It will install everything.
>
> _HOWEVER_ ... don't do it unless you need everything !!!!
>
> If you think you need everything ... you probably don't ... if you
> really, really, really need everything then OK, install it.

How do you know if you need something unless you install and try it?

The thing I always wanted from an 'everything' install was the expertise
of the distribution packager as to whether something would likely be
useful to have installed.  Someone, somewhere must have known enough
about the packages to decide what was worth including in the
distribution.  I'd take their word for whether it should be on my hard
disk or not.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com