[CentOS] Centos %.0 failed to recognize my video card

Richard E Miles

r.godzilla at comcast.net
Thu May 3 02:35:13 UTC 2007

I tried to install Centos 5.0 yesterday and it was a complete
failure. The installer could not detect my vidio card. The vidio card is a nvidia geforce fx GeForce FX (generic). This is the same vidio card that was perfectly recognized in Centos 4.3
The anaconda installer repartitioned my disk and installed a custom selection of software. This took about 1 hr. When I rebooted it would no start x windows. I even took a file copy of the Centos 4.3 xorg.conf and put it in /etc/X11 directory.
I tried system-config-display reconfig and it failed to recognize the vidio.

I reinstalled Centos 4.3.

I have had the same problem when I was trying to install fedora core 5.
I am convinced the redhat people removed the monitor selection for a viewsonic VP171b. This is why it must have happened. I had reported this problem when I was on the fedora core system. But Redhat did not do anything to correct the problem. I am stuck at Centos 4.3 forever.

I am so frustrated I even tried Ubuntu but that would not recognize my usb 1.0 mouse.

I am waiting to amass the cash necessary to buy an apple Imac.
At least with there systems everything just works without problems.

--
Richard Miles
Federal Way WA. USA