[CentOS] Intel 965 Chipset and CentOS 5

jae at platinumpsi.com
Thu May 3 21:09:51 UTC 2007

I'm trying to install CentOS 5 on an Intel DG965W MB, but I'm getting a
kernel panic:
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(253,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(253,0)

I suspect it is because the drive is not being recognized (at all), but
I'm not sure.

I've tried various combinations of flags, including: all-generic-ide,
pci=nommconf, remapping [enabled], irqpoll, acpi=off ...
... but the result is always the same...

Are there issues with this chipset and Centos 5?  ( RHEL's HCL is
unhelpful.  It was empty, when I checked. )