[CentOS] alphaserver questions

Abba Communications lists06 at abbacomm.net
Fri May 4 00:34:55 UTC 2007

> Other than to scratch an itch, or to do some arch level engineering why
> would you even want to invest in an Alpha these days ?
>
> Having said that, I want to add that we do have a functional CentOS-4
> release on Alpha that I am running on my pws500u quite happily, but the
> Alpha, for me, is here for legacy and emotional reasons.
>
> - KB
> --

KB,

I understand what you are saying...

God willing, I am looking for a decent and affordable Alpha box that I might
be able to purchase and contrib....

I am not up on current HP Alpha offerings... their website appears to show
that it is still in serious production...

Ummmm my experience and understanding is that mid and high end Alpha
processors were one of, if not the best ever designed and implemented.

I would tend to think that is also "similarly" true today, other than the
fact that the x86 arch sells in much higher volume.

 - rh

--
Abba Communications
Spokane, WA