[CentOS] Re: Raid5 issues

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Fri May 4 01:42:07 UTC 2007

Feizhou wrote:

>> I do have a SIL3114 chipset, and I think it's supposed to be
>> supported by device mapper.  When I go to rescue mode, I see it
>> except control.  Are there instructions somewhere on getting it to
>> use my controller's raid?
>
> Your controller only has a bios chip. It has no raid processing
> capability at all.
>
> You need to use mdadm. anaconda should be able to let you create to
> mirrors and then create a third array that stripes those md devices,
Anaconda doesn't let me create a stripe raid set on top of a mirror
set.  And it doesn't detect it when I do it manually.

Also the bios chip presents additional issues.  I believe when I don't
have a raid array set up, it won't boot at all.  When I have it on
raid10, I had trouble booting, and when I have it on concatenation,
everything works fine, until a drive is replaced.  At that point, i have
to recreate the array, as concatenation is not a fault tolerant set, and
at this point I seem to lose all my data.

Is there a way to get it to use the raid that's part of the bios chip?
Something about device mapper?

Russ