[CentOS] Re: Raid5 issues

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Fri May 4 14:04:11 UTC 2007

Toby Bluhm wrote:
> Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>> Feizhou wrote:

>>> It won't boot at all without a raid array setup? That sounds really
>>> funny.
>>>
>> Actually I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think this is the case.  I
>> believe the first time I set it up as a raid10, assuming that linux
>> will just ignore it.  I installed centos by putting boot on a raid1,
>> and root on LVM over 2 raid1 sets.  I had trouble getting it to boot.
>>>
>>> Repeat after me. There is no raid that is part of the bios chip. It
>>> is just a simple table.
>> Yes, I know this is fakeraid, aka softraid, but I was hoping that
>> using the drivers would make it easier to support raid 10 then with
>> mdadm, which seems to be impossible to get to work with the
>> installer.  I'm not even sure why the raid10 personality is not
>> loaded, as it seems to have been part of the mdadm since version 1.7.
>>>

>>> You need the fake raid driver dmraid if you are going to set up
>>> stuff in the bios. What version of centos are you trying to install?
>>> libata in Centos 5 should support this without having to resort to
>>> the ide drivers.
>>> _________________________________
>> I'm trying to install centos 5 - the latest.  How would I go about
>> using dmraid and/or libata?  The installer picks up the drives as
>> individual drives.  There is a drive on the silicon image website,
>> but it's for RHEL4, and I couldn't get it to work.  I'm open to using
>> md for raid, or even LVM, if it supports it.  I just want to be able
>> to use raid10, as I can't trust raid5 anymore.
>>

> IIRC you had two out of four new disks die? So maybe it would be more
> accurate to say it's your hardware you don't trust. Raid5 is used
> without problems by ( I assume ) many, many people, myself included.
> You could have a raid10 and still lose the whole array if two disks
> that in the same mirror die at once. I guess no software in the world
> can really overcome bad hardware. That's why we do backups :)
>
> Anyway, perhaps excersizing /stressing the disks for a few days
> without error would make you feel more confident about the HDs.

Actually, 2 disks did not die.  Due to the fact that it was a new raid 5
array (or for whatever reason), it was rebuilding the array.  One of the
drives had a media error, and this caused the whole array to be lost.

This is exactly what this article warns about:

http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

Russ