[CentOS] Re: Raid5 issues

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Fri May 4 17:06:02 UTC 2007

Toby Bluhm wrote:
> Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>> Toby Bluhm wrote:

>>> IIRC you had two out of four new disks die? So maybe it would be
>>> more accurate to say it's your hardware you don't trust. Raid5 is
>>> used without problems by ( I assume ) many, many people, myself
>>> included. You could have a raid10 and still lose the whole array if
>>> two disks that in the same mirror die at once. I guess no software
>>> in the world can really overcome bad hardware. That's why we do
>>> backups :)
>>>
>>> Anyway, perhaps excersizing /stressing the disks for a few days
>>> without error would make you feel more confident about the HDs.
>>>

>> Actually, 2 disks did not die.  Due to the fact that it was a new
>> raid 5 array (or for whatever reason), it was rebuilding the array.
>> One of the drives had a media error, and this caused the whole array
>> to be lost.
>> This is exactly what this article warns about:
>>
>> http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt
>

> The article doesn't seem to mention the fact that if a disk in a
> mirror set dies and the remaining disk within the set starts to have
> data corruption problems, the mirror will be rebuilt from corrupted data.
While this is true, it's far more likely that there will be a media
error (i.e. bad sector), and that the system will notice it.  With raid
5, it will just kick out the drive, and you can say bye bye to your
data.  With raid 10, if it happens on one of the disks in the other set,
you don't have a problem, and if it happens to the disk in the same set
(not very likely), I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but hopefully
it can recover?  I have just had a windows drive have a whole bunch of
bad sectors and I was still able to boot to windows, and copy most of
the data off.  I can't imagine Linux being any worse.
> I don't know what you can do at this point, though. Perhaps make 2
> separate mirrors and rsync them?  You could keep copies of  changes
> that way.

I know there is a raid10 personality for md.  I saw it in the source
code.  I see people's boot logs all over the web that say this:

md: linear personality registered as nr 1
md: raid0 personality registered as nr 2
md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
md: raid10 personality registered as nr 9
md: raid5 personality registered as nr 4

Why does CentOS5 not support the raid10 personality?  Do i need to custom compile md?  Do I need to custom compile the kernel?

Russ