[CentOS] Trying to build custom Python 2.4.4 RPM

Del Stoliker dstoliker at alphagraphics.com
Sun May 6 14:53:36 UTC 2007

> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >         /usr/local/bin/python is needed by python24-2.4.4-0.i386
>
> There's probably some documentation or example script which references
> /usr/local/bin/python in the shebang. This might get pulled in as a
> dependency during the automatic requirement processing.
>
> You might have to remove this reference. There was a problem like that
> with perl-Config-General in rpmforge, where some documentation
> triggered a dependency on perl(Carp::Heavy).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ralph

I found it!  The file /pythonroot/lib/python2.4/cgi.py starts with "#!
/usr/local/bin/python" and goes on to say in the comments that it's not a
mistake.  I found that in the stock CentOS Python 2.3, the file is also
there, but was patched to point at the installed Python. So, I just did a
substitution in my install section of the spec file and the RPM will now
install.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Del