[CentOS] SATA on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 MB

fredex

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun May 6 20:11:15 UTC 2007

Hi Gang!

I've got this (now old) Gigabyte motherboard (GA-7N400 Pro2), I've had it
for just over 3 years.

I use it, so far, with only PATA devices.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a matched pair of SATA drives and when
I install Centos 5 (hopefully soon), building it with software raid (using
the two drives as mirrors of each other).

Now, I wouldn't have ever even thought of this question, except I've been
reading recently that most/many/some new motherboards, those few that still
offer PATA, often cannot boot from PATA any more because the manufacturer
has saved a couple of bucks by not putting a suitable PATA chip on the board.

Now, given that this board is 3 years old (designed even longer ago than
that), I'm wondering if the SATA support is complete? That is, can Centos 5
boot from SATA on such a board?

or am I merely an old man who worries needlessly?

Thanks for the opinions!

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.