[CentOS] CentOS 5: GDM starts, but console doesn't switch VTs

Bart Schaefer

barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:51:56 UTC 2007

(2nd attempt, the mailing list is still bouncing some gmail SMTP
servers because of the multihop DSBL.)

Over the weekend I installed CentOS 5 on my hp pavilion ze5300.  The
graphical install went just fine, and everything (except wireless,
haven't worked on that yet) seems to be working.

However, on boot, the text console comes up.  If I hit Alt-F7
manually, I'm switched to the graphical GDM login, and that logs me in
to a Gnome session as usual -- but the console never automatically
switches over to the GDM virtual terminal, as far as I can tell.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

It may be that this happens only with the Xen kernel and has something
to do with rhgb itself switching into text mode because of the
microcode module installation failure that has been discussed
elsewhere.