[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Mon May 7 22:57:17 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Ruslan Sivak wrote:
>
>> I'm not looking for total reliability.  I am building a low budget
>> file/backup server.  I would like it to be fairly reliable with good
>> performance.  Basically if 1 drive fails, I would like to still be up
>> and running, even if it requires slight reconfigurations (ie
>> recreating the swap partition).
>
> I like to keep things simple-minded and not fight with anadconda.
> During the install, put /boot, swap, and / on your first 2 drives as
> RAID1.  After that works the way you want, build whatever layout you
> want with the rest of your space and either move your /home contents
> and mount point over or mount it somewhere else.  A nice feature of
> this approach is that you can upgrade to pretty much any other
> version/distro     by building a new set of system disks and swapping
> them in, keeping your data intact.  I also like to use disks in
> swappable carriers and to keep a spare chassis around.  That way you
> can use it for testing things and developing your next version but if
> your production motherboard fails you can just move the drives to it
> and keep going.

I have 4 500GB drives.  Seems kind of a waste to put just /boot swap and
/ on the first 2 drives.
>> If 2 drives fail, I would like to still be able to be up and running
>> assuming I wasn't unlucky enough to have 2 drives fail in the same
>> mirror set.
>> If 3 drives fail, I'm pretty much SOL.
>> The most important thing is that I can easily survive a single disk
>> failure.
>
> If you can deal with the space constraints of partitions that match
> single disk sizes by mounting them in appropriate places it's hard to
> beat RAID1.  If everything fries except one drive you can still
> recover the data that was on it - plus it gives you natural boundaries
> for backups which you shouldn't ignore just because you have raid.

Unfortunately this is my backup server, and also file server.  While I
may move the file server part out to another box in the future, for now
it's going to be serving two roles.  I would like to be able to depend
on it.

In the future I might set up a backup of this server to be on Amazon's
S3.  Is there a linux program that interfaces with it?

Russ