[CentOS] 4.5 Version Implications

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:19:23 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, James N. Smith <jnsmith at leschwartz.com> wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> Could anyone comment on the implications of the upcoming 4.5 release on
> users who are using 4.4 and are happy with it?  By doing regular updates to
> my 4.4 machines am I essentially running 4.5?  Are there any compelling
> lifespan reasons to upgrade from 4.4 to 4.5?

Minor numbers are update revisions. When 4.5 is released, and you run
'yum update' on 4.4, you'll get 4.5.

4.5 is 4.x + bug/security fixes to that point. The lifespan for
centos4 is 7 years.  During that time, you'll have 4.0 thru 4.18 or
whatever the final minor point revision ends up being.

Basically yes, you want this upgrade.

George Orwell