[CentOS] adsl-setup (compaq presario sr5010nx)

gary garys at mtaonline.net
Tue May 8 11:58:16 UTC 2007

gary wrote
> > Alex -  The Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem worked just fine with
> > Centos5 on a different machine.
> >
> > Trying to activate sytem-config-network gives the following:
> >
> > /sbin/adsl-start: line 214: 3132
> > Terminated            $CONNECT"$@" >/dev/null
> > 2>&1
> >
> > I have no /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf - not installed - having run
> >  adsl-setup after a fresh reinstall.
> >

> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0:
> >
> > USERCTL=yes
> > BOOTPROTO=dialup
> > NAME=DSLppp0
> > DEVICE=ppp0
> > TYPE=xDSL
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid
> > FIREWALL=STANDALONE
> > PING=.
> > PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
> > LCP_FAILURE=3
> > LCP_INTERVAL=20
> > CLAMPMSS=1412
> > CONNECT_POLL=6
> > CONNECT_TIMEOUT=60
> > DEFROUTE=yes
> > SYNCHRONOUS=no
> > ETH=eth0
> > PROVIDER=DSLppp0
> > USER=garys at mtaonline.net
> > PEERDNS=no
> > DEMAND=no
> >

> > I'll tinker with some these values and hope for success.
> > ----gary
> Alex wrote
> Comparing your output with my own ifcfg-ppp0 reveals nothing
> different. That's interesting that it fails how it does though. Is
> there more than one NIC in this PC? If there is you must make sure
> you have defined the correct card.
>
> /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf being missing is okay, I had a brain dead
> moment. pppoe.conf no longer exists as that information has been
> incorporated into ifcfg-ppp0 for a little while now.
>
> Does running 'adsl-start' from a terminal reveal any information to
> you? 'adsl-connect' which is called by 'adsl-start' sends errors to
> syslog, have a gander and see if adsl-connect is leaving behind any
> useful information about why it's not connecting or if it's just
> timing out.
>
> You may also try invoking 'adsl-start' in the following manner:
> 'sudo adsl-start eth0 username at domain.tld' see what happens. Please
> mind line wrapping.

Alex
Only eth0 - onboard - no cards.

 I think i saw the following error message breeze by during one
startup:................missing (or failed to
load) /lib/modules/????????????generic/kernel/drivers/net/pppoe.ko

I continue to suspect a missing driver or avahi issue.

Now I've overwritten the partition with Ubuntu - need to get this
machine up and running.

Thanks for the suggestions --------gary