[CentOS] Re: Lost file associations, only application/octet-stream

Leonardo Pinheiro

leopinheiro at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:35:00 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Leonardo Pinheiro <leopinheiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After updating from CentOS 4.92 to 5 through manual hacks and 'yum
> update' (see http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-April/079023.html),
> I've lost all gnome file associations. Now every file is identified as
> application/octet-stream or text/plain or x-directory/normal (for
> directories).
>
> I've checked everything with 'rpm -Va' but couldn't find problem
> related to mime types.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Leonardo

This problem is related to my username, because when I create a new
username, Nautilus shows correct file associations.

So I've just made a backup of my home directory and created a new one,
then erased all files owned by my username inside /tmp and restarted
the computer. Even now the file associations are wrong for my
username.

What can be still wrong in my system?

Leonardo