[CentOS] New Centos User - Yum Repositories Question

Dave Cross

davorg at gmail.com
Thu May 10 18:51:40 UTC 2007

I've been using Red Hat and its derivatives since RH4.2. I use Fedora
Core 6 for all of my desktop machines, but I decided to go for Centos
5 for my new colo web server.

So I've just taken delivery of a new Centos 5 virtual server from
Bytemark (http://bytemark.co.uk/) and I'm trying to get it set up with
all the RPMs that I'm used to from FC6.

As I understand it, the Centos Extras repository at
http://centos.karan.org/ is the equivalent of Fedora Extras, so I've
downloaded and installed the *.repo file from that site.

But I still don't seem to have access to all of the RPMs that I was
hoping for. I was particularly looking for the Perl CPAN modules that
are part of Fedora Extras. Very few of those seem to be available.

Am I just too early? Is the Centos Extras repository not quite ready
for Centos 5 yet? Or is there a technical reason why the Fedora Extras
RPMs can't be rebuilt for Centos? Or do I need to configure yum for a
different repository?

if I have to rebuild the RPMs myself, then I'm quite happy to do that.
I just wondered if they would become available automatically if I
waited a while. There's no real hurry to get this server up.

Cheers,

Dave...