[CentOS] NAT from eth0:0 port 80 to lo port 8080?

Jeff Potter jpotter-centos at codepuppy.com
Fri May 11 00:24:32 UTC 2007

Thanks, Florin and Robert, for your suggestions.

I'm still stumped, though.

This rule looks to be the REDIRECT rule that Robert suggests.
Unfortunately, as I have it written here, it fail instantly --
telnetting to port 80 causes an instant error.
	iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-
ports 127.0.0.1:8080

This gets packets in, but no reply:
	iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 64.61.61.112 --dport 80 -j
DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1:8080

Florin, I did try running tcpdump before -- good to hear this was a
sound way to debug this; the above "no reply" rule shows the
following packet:
	19:47:07.707346 IP [my laptop's ip address].39679 >
64.61.61.112.http: S 4212369272:4212369272(0) win 5840 <mss
1460,sackOK,timestamp 1264677320 0,nop,wscale 2>

So, I'm still stumped.

The exact iptables rules are below.

Any other thoughts? There's not something besides /proc/sys/net/ipv4/
ip_forward that needs to be twiddled, is there?

best,
Jeff

--
Jeff Potter