[CentOS] Vmware version 1.03

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Fri May 11 03:51:57 UTC 2007

On 5/10/07, Barton Callender <b14wc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I added myself to the disk group so I could have
> full permissions to the hard drive.
>
> The passage did not tell me how to allow an ordinary user to create a new
> virtual machine.

"Ordinary" users generally won't have access to disk devices.  The
assumption is that you're going to create a virtual disk file, not use
a raw disk or partition directly.

Adding yourself to grup disk is OK, but leaves you open to
accidentally doing violence to your host OS's disks.  It might be
better to chgrp the specific disk devices that you want to use for
vmware to some new group (perhaps "vmware") and put yourself in *that*
group.