[CentOS] adsl-set up (solved)

gary

garys at mtaonline.net
Fri May 11 07:43:18 UTC 2007

A few days ago I wrote complaining that my new, cheap Compaq Presario
(sr5010nx) could not create and maintain a dsl connection using Centos5.

I was puzzled that that Ubuntu - with pppoeconf - would work just fine
but Centos5
could not be configured.   (cento4 -also)

Eventually I  googled and found a bug report for the r8169 Gigabit
ethernet driver.

Conclusion - there is a patch in new kernels  - I tried the Centos
2.6.18 kernel - again no results  - and finally I installed a fc6-2.6.20
kernel - problem solved.