[CentOS] Dell Dimension C521n

Nick Goddard nickg at sigmer.com
Fri May 11 15:35:08 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm in an all-Dell shop and am contemplating buying one of these to use as
> an "emergency gateway server" in case my primary fails. It'll let me take
> the primary out of service to upgrade its OS. Has anyone installed CentOS
> on one of these? Any gotchas?
>
> It looks like I can buy this model with these tweaks for about $480:
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+
> FreeDOS included in the box, ready to install
> 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
> Free Upgrade from 80GB to 160GB (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
> 16X DVD-ROM Drive
> NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
> Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
>
> (Scanned by Sigmer MailScanner and believed to be clean)

I have a Dell Dimension C521 on which I've installed Centos5. I had to use the
noapic kernel switch at install time. Other than that all went smoothly.

I have a couple of vmware server guests running on it as a test and the time
on the guests is racing away (about 3 times normal time). The host is rock
solid though.

Kind Regards
Nick.