[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Ruslan Sivak rsivak at istandfor.com
Fri May 11 21:22:35 UTC 2007

John R Pierce wrote:
> Ruslan Sivak wrote:

>>> so, is your / on a 4 spindle mirror too?
>>>

>>> N-way mirrors require every write to be done N times.
>>
>> No, / is on a 2 raid 1 arrays which are striped using LVM.  And the N
>> times write penalty doesn't really apply to boot, since it rarely
>> gets written to.
>

> so, if the LVM  is built from the 2 raid1 sets md1 and md2, and both
> drives of md1 are down, its down.   ditto if both drives of md2 are
> down.   so why not just put the /boot on the same spindles as md1 ?
>
> btw, LVM isn't really striping, its more like globbing. or scattering.

Well the reason not to put /boot on the same spindles as md1 has already
been mentioned a few times.  Basically flexibility.

What do you mean LVM doesn't really do striping?  What does globbing
mean?  Does it mean there is no performance difference between striping
LVM and just concatenating 2 raid1's?

Russ