[CentOS] reading lvm

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 12 16:07:42 UTC 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>    I don't like to start messages out this way and this is my opinion
> but i'm really beginning to hate lvm.
I consider LVM to be in the same class as "Maxblast" and similar
so-called disk management software: Handy for those who really need it
but a real PITA for those who don't. In the case of both, deliver me!
My current CentOS-4.4 system on this machine uses LVM:
Disk /dev/hda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2              14       19929   159975270   8e  Linux LVM

The drive on which I will install CentOS-5 is also physically installed
on this machine as /dev/hdb:

/dev/hdb1   *           1          26      208813+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2              27         153     1020127+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hdb3             154       12907   102446505   83  Linux
/dev/hdb4           12908       23830    87738997+   5  Extended
/dev/hdb5           12908       23830    87738966   83  Linux

I created a mount point on the running CentOS-4.4, mounted /dev/hdb5 and
copied the root filesystem to it. When I get ready to install  CentOS-5,
the current /dev/hda goes on the shelf, /dev/hdb becomes /dev/hda and
CentOS-5 gets installed on partitions hda1 and hda3 (boot & root
respectively -- NO LVM). Then, to have access to all the wunnerful
junque I've accumulated since 2005, I'll simply mount /dev/hda5 on a
mount point created for that purpose,  copy and consult as needed and
LVM will be in my past.

Let the flames begin.  I dragged out an old asbestos suit.