[CentOS] CentOS 5 and Broadcom wireless

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sat May 12 23:13:00 UTC 2007

On 5/12/07, Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm really really close now ...

And now so close as to make almost no difference.

- Added "blacklist bcm43xx" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
- chkconfig {NetworkManager,NetworkManagerDispatcher,wpa_supplicant} off
- Used system-config-network-gui to configure wireless and set it to
active at boot

Hey, presto!  I have wireless networking.

I would sort of like to get NetworkManager working so I can choose
among available networks, but this will do for now.

Side-effect of "blacklist" is that eth1 has disappeared from hwconf
entirely.  Any reason to be concerned about that?

> And, looking ahead, what would I need to change to be able to have
> both the wired and wireless networks active at the same time?

This has taken care of itself:  They both *are* active at the same
time (though I suspect that if NetworkManager were running it would
insist on turning one of them off).

In fact, even with the wired network unplugged, eth0 thinks it's up
and has a route for my wired LAN.  I'd rather it detected that the
cable was unplugged and didn't add the route, but that's another minor
nit.

Thanks everyone for your help, and of course I'd still welcome
additional suggestions.