[CentOS] Re: Now I can't shutdown [was: Screen blanks after initial setup (Centos 5)]

Richard Karhuse rkarhuse at gmail.com
Sun May 13 11:21:55 UTC 2007

On 5/13/07, Itay <centos at nospammail.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2007, Bart Schaefer wrote:
>
> > On 5/12/07, Itay <centos at nospammail.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>  And I can't shutdown it, not even with the power button.
> >
> > There's no reset button?
>
> Not seen any.
>
> > Have you tried holding the power button down for 6-10 seconds?
>
> I tried the 3-5 seconds :-)
> When I get home -- this is my home machine -- I'll try for
> longer.
>
> Thanks,
> --
>    Itay Furman  <centos at nospammail.net>
> --

While this may be a long shot, you may have a hardware issue.

Holding the power button for > 5 seconds should take the system
down (unless you've done something funky in the BIOS power
settings).

Do you have the latest and greatest BIOS for the motherboard
installed?  [Also load "Optimal" and/or "Fail-Safe" Defaults (or
what-ever your BIOS calls them, e.g. "Factory Defaults").]

When you re-boot up, everything may be OK.  Or, you may need
to enter "Rescue Mode" via CD #1 and (re-)install grub to get a
working system.  Or, (depending on where it died), re-install all
over again.  While in Rescue Mode, check-out your install.log
and syslog files for any hints as to what happened. {Usually when
you die like this, nothing gets written -- but it may tell where it was
when it did freeze-up.}

I would also run "memtest" off CD #1 for a couple of hours to
make certain that memory is working OK, etc.

Just some random things to think about ....
(I've been  down the "frustrating" path before and know your "pain"....)

   Rich