[CentOS] VMware ver 1.03

Barton Callender b14wc at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 05:28:08 UTC 2007

>From: "Lamar Owen" <lowen at pari.edu>
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] VMware ver 1.03
>Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 10:21:00 -0400
>
>On Saturday 12 May 2007, Barton Callender wrote:
> > I'm for not giving accurate information, I am able to create new virtual
> > machines as a non-root user.  I have windowsXP and Ubuntu installed on
>my
> > hard drive as well.  So I am trying to create a new virtual machine with
> > custom settings, and using my hard drive, so I can boot windowsXP or
>Ubuntu
> > while Im in CentOS 5.  But when I reach to the end of the settings it
>tells
> > me I do not have permission to access that file.
>
>Please read the VMware documentation about 'dual boot' installs
>(specifically,
>the Virtual Machine Guide, section "Using Disks in a Virtual
>Machine"; "Configuring Hard Disk Storage in a Virtual Machine"; "Disk
>Types:
>Virtual and Physical"; "Physical (Raw) Disk" and the paragraph immediately
>below the caution (not counting the caution, this is the third paragraph of
>the section).
>
>Note that Windows XP will want to reactivate every time you boot in the VM
>after having booted the hard drive, and vice versa (XP is seeing a
>different
>PC each time; the bare host hardware when native booted, and a PC
>called 'VMware' when booted inside VMware Server).  Also note that the
>hardware VMware server presents to the VM's is radically different from the
>hardware the bare OS sees, especially the video card, network card, audio
>driver, and motherboard chipset.  VMware recommends that you do not do
>this,
>in other words, and you can cause serious issues on the dual booted OS's if
>you do it.
>
>Now, if you want to always boot these others under VMware server, you can
>just
>do that; but dual-booting and VMware running of the VM's is going to cause
>the guest OS's (especially XP) loads of problems.
>--
>Lamar Owen
>Chief Information Officer
>Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
>1 PARI Drive
>Rosman, NC  28772
>(828)862-5554
>www.pari.edu

Thanks for your reponse, I guess they changed some things in the vmware
server, I dont remember what version I had on my centos 4.4 version.  I was
able to install it and create a new virtual machine using my hard drive (raw
disk) with no problem.  WindowsXP started up fine and I did not have any
problems.  The only thing that I had to do was install vmware tools
manually.

Later