[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Andreas Micklei andreas.micklei at ivistar.de
Tue May 15 09:46:48 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, 15. Mai 2007 schrieb Feizhou:
> > As has been pointed out in this thread, RAID is *not* a substitute for
> > backups. RAID is intended to keep the box up and running. Valuable data
> > should always be stored off site, in removable drives, or via the WAN.
>
> Who says? You? I like to have an online offsite RAID backup server. Is
> there an ONE TRUE WAY OF BACKUP?

I think the point is that RAID is not a substitute for backups. That does not
imply what backup technique to use. Making Backups to another server that
also uses RAID is absolutely reasonable IMHO. We do just that around here.

However it can not be stressed enough that just putting RAID-1 or RAID-5 into
a server is not a substitute for backups.

--
Andreas Micklei
IVISTAR Kommunikationssysteme AG

Handelsregister: Berlin Charlottenburg HRB 75173
Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE207795030
Vorstand: Dr.-Ing. Dirk Elias
Aufsichtsratsvorsitz: Dipl.-Betriebsw. Frank Bindel