[CentOS] Introduction

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Tue May 15 10:56:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm a 40-year old sysadmin living in Montpezat, a small village in the
sunny south of France. I'm a Linux user since 2001, when I made my first
steps on a 486 with a Slackware 7.1 CD. I've tried maybe two dozen
distributions, but I've stayed mostly with Slackware and Debian.

Since last summer, I work as a sysadmin for our "Communauté de
Communes", a group of 16 villages, where I care for computers and
installs of town halls and public libraries. I've configured a LAMP
server in a datacenter, running Debian Sarge, and all clients in town
halls and libraries are running Debian Etch, a highly stripped-down and
personalized GNOME desktop with just a handful of apps needed for work.

I've fiddled with CentOS before, around when 4.3 came out, and it was a
close second in the choice of OS here. Had 5.0 been out at the time, I
would gladly have chosen it. I've discussed the subject with Daniel de
Kok, a fellow ex-Slacker and friend, and he's told me so many good
things about the latest release of CentOS that I'm now seriously
considering replacing my Debian installs with CentOS.

I have an armada of PCs that i can fiddle with, and I've currently
installed two different versions of CentOS, one as minimal as I could,
one with a default GNOME desktop. On my personal laptop I have the Red
Hat Deployment Guide, as well as some more CentOS-specific docs. I have
a list of 40 or so items that I will have to take care of in the
following days or weeks, maybe months: "minimal install?", "yum?",
"configure wireless rt2500, rt61, ipw3945?", "find extra repos for
multimedia stuff?", etcetera. I just went to take a peek at IRC, and
"Arrfab" told me the main communication channel for CentOS was this
mailing list.

Cheers from France,

Niki Kovacs
--