[CentOS] Make Raid1 2nd disk bootable?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed May 16 14:39:27 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Grub isn't so much the issue here as the difference in the rescue mode
> boot.  I'm used to being able to boot the CD, chroot into the existing
> system and have pretty much normal access regardless of what was broken.
> Now that the system /dev directory is basically empty, things don't work
>   when you have to mount the partitions manually.  Is there a step to
> set up devices so the chroot will work?
Hey Les -

I haven't tried this but were you looking at /dev *after* you did the
chroot?  It sort of makes sense to me that the running kernel would only
populate it's /dev, not the chrooted /dev.  Rescue mounts at least the
root partition under /mnt/sys (or something like that).  Before you
chroot, you should probably also mount any other partitions you want
under /mnt/sys and then chroot.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce