[CentOS] Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:09:44 UTC 2007

Lanny Marcus wrote:

> Questions: Is it your belief that all PATA/SATA/SCSI drives made by one
> manufacturer have the same MTBF? (I find that hard to believe. However,
> that might be the case.....) Also, is it your belief that these drives,
> made by different manufacturers, all have the same MTBF?

I believe that there's not enough difference to matter.  There is always
enough of a chance of a failure that you have to be prepared for it and
pretty much all of the vendors have made bad batches.  But, these days
they are good enough that if you don't abuse them with flakey power or
high temperatures, 80% or more will last until you want to replace the
equipment for some other reason (5 years or more).  The ones that fail
will pick random times to do it, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com