[CentOS] [OT] External RAID storage / NAS

Feizhou feizhou at graffiti.net
Thu May 17 03:04:16 UTC 2007

> Do you have a quiet, external drive case in mind?

I would suggest eSATA cases. An si3124 controller with 4 eSATA ports is
available for around 100USD.

I don't know when port multiplier support will be available but when it
is, you can attached a 5 bay SATA (non-raid) disk enclosure to a single
eSATA port. That should give plenty of room for growth with software
raid (if you want software raid). In the mean time, you could look at
getting 750GB drives on single drive eSATA cases. eSATA is much better
than USB 2.0 for disks. Or go firewire. USB2.0 is a joke for high bandwidth.