[CentOS] Getting CentOS Server CD w/kickstart config

Plant, Dean dean.plant at roke.co.uk
Thu May 17 15:18:13 UTC 2007

Devin Atencio wrote:
> I would like to how how I can take the CentOS 4.4 Server Cd for
> example and modify the
> ISO to put on my anaconda-ks.cfg file and then modify the kernel
> parameters to automatically
> load the anaconda-ks.cfg file so that I can create a CD that I just
> stick into my machine it will
> format the drive, install the basic configuration I like without
> asking any questions. I need to
> install like 20 machines and I wanted to basically just stick a CD in
> the drive and let it do it's thing.
>
> Any help on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Here's how I did it for RHEL CD's

Construct a single DVD from the four RHEL CDRom's

Insert  & mount CD1

# mkdir /DVD
# mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrecorder

Copy cd1 to /DVD

# cd /media/cdrecorder
# tar cf - . | (cd /DVD ; tar xvf - .)
# cd /
# eject cdrom

Carry out the above action for CD 2-4

After all CD's have been copied.

Correct the .discinfo file to reference all four disks.

# cd /DVD
# vi .discinfo

Ensure line 4 has 1,2,3,4
A working .discinfo should be as follows.

# cat .discinfo
1141417589.425945
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
i386
1,2,3,4
RedHat/base
RedHat/RPMS
RedHat/pixmaps

Create the bootable ISO file. (all on one line)

# mkisofs -A "RHEL/4.3 i386 3AS" -o DVD.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c
isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J
-v -T /DVD

Burn the DVD.iso as an image not a file.