[CentOS] CentOS 4.4 on Thinkpad T30

Alfred von Campe

alfred at von-campe.com
Fri May 18 15:36:26 UTC 2007

I installed CentOS 4.4 on an old T30 I had lying around using a
slightly modified kickstart file that I use to install on desktop
systems.  I had to manually fix the resolution for X, but everything
appears to work fine out of the box otherwise.  Except for two issues:

   o After a period of inactivity (> 30 minutes), the laptop
     will go to sleep and I can not wake it up other than a
     hard reset/reboot.
   o If I pull the network cable, almost every command hangs
     (this is with a local account, although the system is
     configured for NIS); if I reconnect the network, the
     hanging commands complete (I've tried running strace,
     but that hangs as well).

I think the second issue also happens on my desktop systems, so it's
not related to the laptop itself, but it is more likely that a laptop
be used off the network.

Any suggestions?

Alfred