[CentOS] alpha server for CentOS

Lance Davis lance at centos.org
Fri May 18 16:25:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Abba Communications wrote:

>>> Well.. depends on the job, etc you want on it. A 667 Mhz alpha is the
>>> equiv speed of a 166 to 300 Mhz Pentium box (if I remember the
>>> building speeds on the old alphas we had).
>>
>> I think that this is an EV6 Alpha, in which case it is about the speed of
>> a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4.
>>
>> -steve
>
> When the alpha stuff was brought up on the list recently regarding the
> "need", I asked and there was some productive info given by you (I think it
> was) or someone else as to what to get "minimum"
>
> :-)
>
> That machine was a candidate according to the specs that were given.
>
> I was bidding on it and was going to buy it for CentOS yet noone got back to
> me on the list fast enough so I didn't continue bidding...

I guess that means it went foer more than the $50 ...

> Also, noone said if CentOS recv'd a machine yet.

CentOS does not have an alpha machine donated, although one of the
developers does.

Having said that there does not seem to be much interest amongst the
current developers in the amount of work that is involved in producing
CentOS 5 for alpha, so unless someone steps up that wants to do the work
ten it may not happen.

> Has anyone called HP or have an contacts in HP to get a machine donated?
>
> Just like God has the biggest hands of all to bless people with... HP has
> bigger hands than I do in helping CentOS with an Alpha.

Not sure about that one :)

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.