[CentOS] vmware tools in CentOS5 guest?

Paul Norton paul at neoverve.com
Sat May 19 00:54:59 UTC 2007

Ken Key wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Does anyone have vmware-tools from the recent server 1.03 release
>> running in a CentOS5 guest VM?  vmware-config-tools.pl goes through
>> the motions except for building the vmhgfs module (which it says is
>> only needed for mapping the host file system) but then X won't start
>> up with the new configuration.
>>

> Yup, had the same problem.  The vmware-config-tools.pl fails to write
> a Monitor section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I add the following to all
> of mine:
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier      "vmware"
>     VendorName      "VMware, Inc"
>     HorizSync 1-10000
>     VertRefresh 1-10000
> EndSection
>
> I got the above values from doing an X -configure in the VM.
> Unfortunately, *that* hangs the display and requires a restart.
> It also generates a massive number of unnecessary ModeLines.
> Just adding the above section to my VMs was my quickest solution.
>
> Hope this helps,

Either of you notice poor performance?  My mouse is jumpy and freezes,
especially when I try to resize a terminal window.  The whole thing
feels slugish.  This is with vmware workstation 6 and either Lunar Linux
or Ubuntu as a host.  I'm sure other distros as hosts.

--
Paul Norton
System Administrator